Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving in Peru

     Peruvians do not celebrate Thanksgiving in any way, but I was really surprised how many Peruvians new it was Thanksgiving; and asked me if I was going to eat turkey. The reaches of my native culture know no bounds. 
     This year, my Thanksgiving meal was aji de gallena made by the owner of my hostel, Patricia. She makes the best aji de gallena in Peru. Period. Gallena is Castellano* for hen and aji is a yellowish hot sauce that is eaten all over Peru, but in this dish it is mixed into a chicken type gravy and served over potatoes with a side of rice. It was outstanding. Unfortunately, I have been a bit sick lately, so I really had to hold back and not ask for seconds. Patricia says I have gotten thin and that she will be fattening me up as I get better. 
     The rest of my day went on as usual. I went surfing for a bit, took a nap, and went to my English class. Although, as much as I loved my aji de gallena, I would not have minded some of my Grandmothers sweet potato casserole. I guess I will just have to wait until in come home in December. 



*Castellano refers to the Spanish language. In Peru, most people do not say, Yo hablo Espanol (I speak Spanish). They say, Yo hablo Castellano. It means the exact same. I'm not sure why they have a different name for it. I'll have to ask.

Getting my appetite back with a delicious Thanksgiving meal of aji de gallena.

The goods.



Thanksgiving sunset from the door of my room.


No comments:

Post a Comment