Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Trip To The Post Office and Other Goings On

I was really happy to get the news that my package had arrived in Trujillo (Thank you Mom and Dad!), but for some reason it wouldn't come to Huanchaco, so I would have to take the bus to the main post office to pick it up. I guess these things happen with international parcels.
The only time I have been to Trujillo was upon my arrival on the bus coming from Lima. I had heard that Trujillo can sometimes be dangerous and I should watch where I was. I saw on TV that Trujillo also has a growing gang problem. So, as I was taking the bus into the city I had my reservations. Luckily, everything I encountered was the opposite. Although I got turned around a couple of times, everyone I spoke with was very nice and helped me get back on track. On my way to the post office I had to walk through a very nice shopping district with various stores, restaurants, and dessert shops. I, also, got the chance to walk through the Plaza de Armas, which is a a giant square in the city center (I think). It was very beautiful with lots of red and white geraniums (Peru's national colors), green grass, and a large statue in the middle.
At the post office I had to wait for about 30mins to see the customs official about my box. It wasn't too bad though as I was able to have a nice conversation with three Peruvian ladies, one who spoke very good English.
After I received my box I didn't really want to go back to Huanchaco. I wanted to walk around and see things. I'm sure there are some sketchy parts to Trujillo (as with any city in the world), but the section I was in was quite interesting. I will definitely be going back soon.
Below are a few photos I took from my jaunt into the big city.

The central post office for the whole region of La Libertad. There was hardly anyone there.



The main view of the Plaza de Armas, Trujillo, Peru



Different view of the Plaza de Armas as I was coming from the post office.


In other news, next Wednesday is a pretty big day for me. I have a meeting with the Headmaster of a British private school in Trujillo. They have openings for English teachers for next school year (it's about to be summer here, so the students will be on vacation until February) and I would like to be considered. I will, also, be touring the school which I am quite excited about since I have not been to a school in Peru as of yet. Even if I am not offered a position, it will be a very valuable learning experience.
On Wednesday night I will be taking a seven hour bus ride, through the night, with a couple other volunteers to the city of Huaraz to do some backpacking. Huaraz sits at around 10,000ft above sea level in the Andes Mountains. As much as I have enjoyed Huanchaco over the past month (yep, I have been here a month as of today) I am pretty ready to get out of here for a week and see some of Peru. I will definitely be posting some photos from that trip.

2 comments:

  1. that city looks so beautiful! I can't wait to see pictures from backpacking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bumper,
    We'll trade you some photos of Pensacola for some of Huaraz!
    My love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete