Thursday, November 10, 2011

"Miner" Setbacks

So, last night I was supposed to take the overnight bus from Trujillo to Huaraz for 5 days of backpacking in the Cordillera Blanca range of the Andes mountains, but things have changed. Hundreds of miners are on strike/protesting against the mining companies in the area and have blocked mountain roads with debris. The word on the street is that the roads will be cleared today or tomorrow, but no one is really sure. In the meantime, my group and I are waiting in Huanchaco to hear if we will be able to go up there or not. It's a pretty big bummer on my end because I was really looking forward to seeing the area and getting out of Huanchaco for a bit. On the flip side, miners have an extremely dangerous job and, to my knowledge, are treated very poorly in Peru, as with many other places in the world. I have no idea why they are actually protesting, but my guess is that it's for a pretty good reason. I have read it is due to the amount of pollution that the mines are producing, but I'm not 100% sure on that. You can read the article at the bottom to get a better idea, but I don't know the reputation of the publication, so take it for what it is.
I am beginning to think that my trip is pretty insignificant in comparison to the protests. I have plenty of money and can go up there almost any time I want. How can I be upset at these people for interrupting my holiday? While I am on a joy ride, they maybe be fighting for the preservation of their homes and families. I would have to be a pretty big jerk to be upset. Huaraz can wait.


http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-978-Antamina-protests-intensify-in-Acansh-Peru/


No comments:

Post a Comment