Sunday, October 16, 2011

This and That

This week will be my second full week in Peru. I think I have found a nice routine that allows me plenty of time for lesson planning/teaching and plenty of time to see as much of this area as I can. I hope, in the coming weeks, I will be able to get off the coast for the weekend and up into the mountains. When I look east I can see the front range of the Andes way off in the distance. I'm looking forward to spending some time up there.



This is the beginning of the carnival Emily Skinner, Otra Cosa Project Coordinator, planned this past Friday night to raise books for the community library of Cerrocito. A bunch of the volunteers showed up to run the games, sell food, and play with the kids. The entry fee was one book and Emily raised almost three hundred of them. It was a really fun night and a great success.



This is El Tropico town hall with the town church. I teach here on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays to kids and adults. Everyone has been so kind to me here and I enjoy it so much.



I am always amazed at how inexpensive Peru is, but it really blows my mind when I go to the bodega (mini-market). A tomato, onion, radish, Peru's version of Ramon, cheese, and bread all cost me 3soles, which is about $1.10us. Not only was it quite delicious, but also quite filling. If I always ate at home I could, probably, eat for less than $30us a week. But, then I would miss some ridiculously good ceviche, rotisserie chicken at The Polleria, and the fish special at MenuLand. I'll try to post some photos of the local cuisine. It it pretty impressive.



1 comment:

  1. oh man! i so enjoyed reading your blog this morning, while drinking my coffee. what a wonderful experience you're in right now. i'm envious on so many levels... so lucky for you to have the opportunity to travel and live in a whole new world! i'll try and come back for updates... it's rare i get a morning like this with two kids.
    soak it all in and keep sharing!!
    :) - valerie from HS.

    ReplyDelete