Monday, October 24, 2011

A Few More Pictures

I am finding out how different I really am. I am 6feet tall with blonde/brown hair, a pretty light skin, and blue eyes. Peruvians, on the other hand, are much shorter, have dark hair and eyes, and darker skin. On the weekends, residents of the city of Trujillo come to Huanchaco to hangout at the beach. While residents of Huanchaco are used to seeing light skinned tourists, the people from Trujillo are not as accustomed since Trujillo is not a tourist destination. So, when I am walking by the beach on the weekends, doing whatever I do, people will often stare, giggle, smile, or want me to take a photo with them. To them, people like me are quite exotic. It was kind of hard for me to understand at first because in the U.S. we have so many different types of people, but in Peru there are places where it is very rare to see an outsider. It is still kind of weird to have people look at you all the time, so I just smile, wave, and say hello. Sometimes people are embarrassed and turn away, while others smile and say hello back. Yesterday as a fellow volunteer and I were walking to meet some friends three girls stopped us and asked us to take a photo with them (I honestly thought this would never happen to me). We said sure, thinking it would be two or three pictures, but it turned into a 15min. long photo shoot. I thought it was quite amusing, so I asked the girls if I could take a photo with them. They were very nice and sweet, but didn't seem to want us to leave. We kind of had to pry ourselves away from them.

White boy at the beach.

This is where I prefer to do my lesson planning.

This young lady sets up her grill every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evening around dark right by the beach. She sells many different types of meat all of which are on a stick. I guess it's kind of like a kabob. She had beef, chicken, chorizo sausage, and beef heart for the low price of 2soles or .73us. I chose the beef heart and it was really tasty! I will definitely be back to she her.

This is a different street vendor but with the same type of set up. She has a bit more variety, though. I chose the chicken kabob with vegetables, but next time I am definitely going to try the grilled chicken feet. She was a bit more expensive 3.5soles or $1.28, but with her meat stick he also gave you a couple bits of potato.
For my momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment