Saturday, September 22, 2012

Vernal Equinox, Cousin Carson, and Juegos Florales

     Winter is officially over in the southern hemisphere; and it couldn't have come at a better time. Well, it's not really what I normally consider winter, but that's what it's called down here. To me, it's more like early autumn or late spring in North Carolina, except you only get a day or two a week with sunshine.
     One of the aspects I really like about the winter in Trujillo is that I don't sweat while I am riding the bus to work in the morning and I don't sweat while I teach. Also, there is not a lot of tourism in Huanchaco during the winter time. This place is so crowded throughout the summer months it's really nice to have a beach with so few people on it. One of the aspects I'm not so fond of is the fact that there is not a lot of sunshine. A day or two, tops, of blue sky and sun every week is pretty normal. During the weekends I really try to take advantage of where I live, so I surf a few times, go on walks in the city, see an archeological site, and hangout on the beach; but it is always more fun when there is some good sunshine. Since spring is now here all of that is about to change.




     Tomorrow, my cousin, Carson, arrives in Trujillo for four months. Four months! I'm not sure who is more excited, him or me. He has been planning to come down here since March or April and I am so happy that it is finally happening. Although I spend most of time during the week at school, I have a week off at the beginning of October, so we are planning a surf trip up the northern coast to see what kinds of waves they have to offer. I haven't been much further north than Puerto Chicama, so it will be nice for us, both, to see these places together for the first time.
     When I am busy working at school, Carson will  be surfing and, hopefully, getting a part-time gig cooking and learning Peruvian cuisine. I'm not sure how it happens, but I seem to always live with people who can cook really well. This is awesome for me because I am a horrible cook and I never mind doing the dishes.




     The past week at Fleming, we have been celebrating Juegos Florales. It is put on by the Spanish department and this year the focus was multiculturalism. The students made various presentations, studied classic literature, and decorated their classrooms to show what they had been learning about other cultures. Luckily for me, ten of my sixth graders participated in a cultural exchange with a school in Mexico, so we always had a lot to talk about. 


My homeroom preparing the class for Juegos Florales




Part of the finished product.
I'm still not sure how the Angry Birds hanging from the ceiling fits into multiculturalism theme.

The whole school gathered for the end of the Juegos Florales celebration.

 One of my students, Bruno, taking center stage to recite a poem for the school. He did a great job.

     On Wednesday, the 19th, we celebrated International Talk Like A Pirate Day. This meant I was able to tell all of my corny pirate jokes I have learned over the years. Like usual, my students didn't really get my jokes. They're a tough crowd.


Captain is coming!
Taking a break from sitting in a classroom to play an awesome pirate game.
It's amazing how much educational value this game had. My students had to practice their English listening skills  by following directions and working together.

No comments:

Post a Comment