Monday, September 10, 2012

One Act Play in Lima

     After a four day stay-cation in Huanchaco I used Monday ad Tuesday to prepare for my trip to Lima. On Tuesday night I took the overnight bus from Trujillo to Lima oversee four secondary students as the performed in a one act play at Hiram Bingham College. All eight (I think) of the British Schools of Peru got together this past Wednesday and Thursday night at Hiram Bingham College in Lima for a small one act play festival. The Fleming group got to Lima on Wednesday and went to Hiram Bingham for play practice for and hour or so. The theatre at Hiram Bingham was very impressive with its state of the art sound booth and wonderful acoustics which allowed all the actors to speak without microphones. It was very different from Fleming's outdoor makeshift theatre that sits right on a very busy city street.
     Wednesday afternoon and Thursday afternoon was spent practicing our performance with our act appearing Thursday night. The Fleming students did a great job and I was very pleased with their flawless performance. One of our actors got sick the day before we left for Lima, so another girl was brought in at the last minute to fill the spot. She learned all her lines in a matter of days and was a great addition to the cast. I'm sorry to say that I completely forgot about taking pictures, so I don't have anything good to post other than a few photos I took at night after the performance.


Hiram Bingham College
This building houses the cafeteria, theatre, and indoor swimming pool.

Soccer fields at Hiram Bingham
   
     On Thursday night I took the overnight bus back to Trujillo just in time to get to school and begin my Friday classes. I don't sleep well on the bus not to mention the fact that I lost my voice just before getting to Lima. Getting around Lima can be difficult sometimes even when I do have a voice, but it was really hard when I couldn't speak. Every time I took a taxi I had to haggle with the driver for a better price. I know they thought I was really weird. To add insult to injury, I lost my cellphone in one of the cabs. Bummer, huh?


Friday afternoon in Huanchaco I enjoyed an afternoon beverage with my friends Jochen and Amy after a long week .

     This afternoon while I was in the staff room, I caught eight of my students receiving Green Cards for doing great things in another class. Green Cards are part of primary's extrinsic motivational system where, after acquiring a certain amount of points in the classroom for good behavior, students make a visit to the principal's office to receive a note of good conduct. These students were being rewarded for outstanding work in Personal Social with Ms. Elena. Students, also, come to see the principal to get Yellow and Red Cards for poor behavior, but I don't take photos of them.


 Regardless of the constant talking and general shenanigans that occur in my class everyday, I really enjoy my students.  I was so happy to see them I thought I should document it. They are a great bunch of kids and I am happy to have them.





      

No comments:

Post a Comment